Comments For Entry #812

.NET FxCop 10 Install from CAB(Comments RSS)

As numerous people online have pointed out, FxCop 1.36 has been pulled from the Microsoft Downloads website. The new version of FxCop is now available in the "Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7 and .NET Framework 4 Version 7.1".

You might not want to actually install that, so to install just FxCop, download the ISO version instead, extract it with 7Zip and locate Setup\WinSDKNetFxTools\cab1.cab. Open it with Windows and copy out the file "WinSDK_FxCopSetup.exe_all_enu_1B2F0812_3E8B_426F_95DE_4655AE4DA6C6". Rename this to "WinSDK_FxCopSetup.exe" and it should now install.

Simples!

3/2/2011 10:35 AM

Thanks a lot, very helpful.

name

3/2/2011 10:33 PM

No problem Smile.

11/2/2011 7:12 AM

Can you upload the setup file to mediafire.com . I don't want to download the 600Mb ISO file to get to 10Mb set up file Sad. Please help me

Jacob

14/2/2011 1:41 AM

Thank Matthew!

Jacob

16/2/2011 2:32 PM

Hi,

I have tried your solution and after installing fxcop 10 on machine with .NET 4.0 but without SDK I got "Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.CodeAnalysis.Interop.dll' or one of its dependencies. The specified module could not be found." error.

Any ideas?

kriz

28/2/2011 10:16 PM

Kris - Apologies for the delay. That file exists on my computer (and I found it within the setup CAB), did you install using the FxCop EXE (or did you extract too many stages in and ran it from extracting the setup EXE file?)

The file exists on my system under "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Fxcop 10.0", search your computer for "Microsoft.VisualStudio.CodeAnalysis.Interop.dll" and see how many you find (if any).

Finally are you running on 64 bit or 32 bit Windows. It would appear from opening up the setup exe in 7zip that the DLL mentioned above is supplied as an x86 DLL. I did not install the full SDK on either of my 2 machines and they both installed FxCop. I did however have Visual Studio Express 2010 running on them (with the latest version of the .NET Framework 4 and patches).

Hope this helps,
Matthew

1/3/2011 8:02 AM

Hi Matthew,

Unfortunatelly, it looks like the FxCop dependencies are on the unmanaged code level.
Of course, I found and copy the missing file along with its dependencies but it was not enough.

My goal was to run FxCop 10 without SDK and VS2010, but I failed.
You may find following forum discussion interesting ( I set it up on the FxCop MSDN forum)

Regards!

kriz

4/3/2011 11:58 PM

Interesting, perhaps as I have Visual Studio express installed on the machines that I installed FxCop on that is why it worked.

Given that file is inside the setup and the link you posted suggested it would not work if it is not in the GAC, it sounds like it is not being registered properly in the GAC.

Have you tried adding that DLL to the GAC? I don't have a machine that doesn't have Visual Studio Express on it to test unfortunately.

I really do refuse to believe you have to install the SDK to get FXCop to work. After all it must only come down to a few DLLs that FXCop actually needs. It cannot need the whole SDK!

Try adding that file to the GAC. Here is a guide on how to do it: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dkkx7f79.aspx

22/3/2011 8:01 AM

Tried but it did not help. It does not need whole SDK but some binaries from 'Tools' node

kriz

thank you so much.

lugionline

10/7/2012 10:10 PM

Thank you so much!

Joe

27/8/2012 7:02 AM

I added that file to the GAC but I found a error messages.
"Strong name cannot be verified for delay-signed assembly "
Please help me

sunny

18/1/2013 4:48 PM

awesome!!
works good!

Muchas gracias.

mexicano

26/1/2013 3:14 PM

Thanks so much for this comment. I have been struggling with getting FxCop without installing .NET 4 (as already on .NET 4.5) and your entry solved the problem. Great stuff!

Jon Smith

15/2/2013 3:26 PM

your web sites is terrible... Sad

3/7/2013 4:32 PM

perfect, worked!

Adi

Pingbacks For Entry #812

Add New Comment

Name

E-mail

Homepage

Remember Me           E-mail me replies

Content (HTML not allowed)